Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Beautiful Quote

I went to a lecture in New Haven last Friday, given by both The Society of Saint Hugh of Cluny and the Saint Gregory Society.

The speakers were Reverend Uwe Michael Land, C.O - a priest of the Brompton Oratory and noted liturgist and patristic scholar - he is the author of "Turning Towards the Lord" ( prefaced by Cardinal Ratzinger), and renowned novelist and essayist German author Martin Mosebach - who this week is going to be receiving Germany's highest Literary Award.

The subjects were the Traditional Mass and Gregorian Chant

It was an excellent lecture; had me yearning for the Traditional Mass and Gregorian Chant.

Anyway, both speakers were selling recently published books, and I wish I had known this as I only had enough cash for one selection. I decided on Martin Mosebach's "The Heresy of Formlessness" ( isn't that and an interesting and mind grabbing title?), mostly because I was so taken by a particular quote that was included in the program. (The book is a series of essays and prefaced by Fr. Fessio, editor-in-chief of Ignatius Press)

"The liturgy of the Mass is more than the proclamation of the teaching of Christ. It is a great 'Ecce homo'; it exhibits and points to the silent Christ. It is infinitely more than the prayer of the faithful. It gives us a glimpse of something absolutely unthinkable: God at prayer"

I guess I can't yet put this on our Booklist as I haven't read more than a few essays; and this because I am sending the book to Dad - something new for him to read. So I'll leave it up to him to pen a few words. Still, if that quote isn't enough to have you go out and buy a copy....

4 comments:

Annie said...

Um... why didn't you invite me?

Mars said...

Mom, you already got me interested in this book.

KBB said...

Annie: Liz invited me. It was actually a dinner date as well, but I had to blow that off since I was doing the Cleanse...oops! Also, she wasn't able to give me any info on the speakers ( as she had very little) so I really didn't know what I was going to hear...was not at all excited about going all the way into New Haven Firday evening for a "talk"..of any kind ( especially since I was doing the Cleanse..I was sooo worried and anxious about all that time in the car!)

But, as you can see, am so glad I went. (And the rest went well, too. Hee hee)

KBB said...

It pays to re-read one's posts: I mis-qouted the last sentence.

I'ts "God AT prayer"; I had written "God a prayer". (I already re-wrote it.)

But please read then entire thing again, newly edited. Obviously, that last phrase is written correctly is paramount.


Sorry!