Sunday, November 23, 2008

"Lord, what wilt Thou have me to do?"--St. Paul

I just finished reading this tremendous book and I recommend it to all of you. Von Hildebrand writes beautifully and directly on transforming our lives in order that we might best surrender to God's will for us and, in so doing, become really joyful! It can be uncomfortable when you realize how poorly you are going about it all, but it made much very clear.

C.S. Lewis wrote somewhere that:

"If we were stronger, we might be less tenderly treated. If we were braver, we might be sent with far less help to defend the far more desperate posts in the great battle."

That always scares me a bit. But we are a chosen people, we do have real mission, and this life is a holy drama, an adventure in love--for Love.

Bernanos puts the following words into the mouth of his "unbeliever" in his Sermon of an Agnostic on the Feast of St. Therese -

"When we (unbelievers) seek Him now, in this world, it is you we find, and only you...We're wondering what you do with the Grace of God. Should it not be shining out of you? Where the devil did you hide your joy?"

Viva la Revolucion!

3 comments:

Spamrod said...

Clare my dear, I think I may pick up your recommendation for myself (this book) although I believe I am a bit behind. I do not want a laundry list as this has to be, for lack of a better word (I have a feeling "pounce" would be the best way to describe it from all you intellectual bastards), organic (look, I have been away from home for the better part of 2 months + wine!).

A slow process it is - and many a distraction I have. But give me a hand my dear for the future is open.

KBB said...

I'm currently reading Von Hilderbrand's bio ( by his wife Alice), "Soul of a Lion". I read "Transformation..." many years ago ( and loved it) and Clare recommended I read it again but also mentioned "Soul of a Lion" as a good intro to Von Hilderbrand. Von Hilderbrand has always been a afabvortite author of mine and Clare was right: really puts him in context when you read his life story. What a guy!

Cy - I tend to think that Percy is a man's author - at least he leans (oops!) that way when I read him. So glad you're putting your specs to good use, my dear. Readers who like Percy, Love Percy! or so I hear.

Annie said...

I'm with you Cy. This in going to be my Advent book.

Anyone else?