Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wednesdays with Leo: S2, part 2


"Hey, Leo, guess what?"
"What?"
"The floor man is working on the floor this week and, once again, you're the first person in the family to see it?"
"Cool!"
"So...I was thinking.  I know you don't like having your picture taken but maybe today you could let me take one of you looking at the floor?"
"Sure thing!!"
Except that when it came time to take the picture ("Later. Okay, Ma?") over and over again, my only recourse was to tell Leo that I would take the picture of him looking at the floor, "from in back."

What you see is the second coat.  Mr Floorman will be here again tomorrow with the final coat; each sanding brings out the grain of the wood in greater detail and has the wood looking darker than the previous time.

Leo and I spent a rainy morning together.

He was perfectly delighted to play with the Little People and was really involved with his game until Dad came home and talked about smoke coming out of the living room chimney....although no fires had been going since the night before.
Leo picked up on Dad's puzzlement and quickly lost interest in his game.  So much so that I gave up trying to engage him any longer.
He asked about the "smoke".  He asked "How come?", since he knew Poppi had been asking the same question.
I explained that we weren't worried. That there was some obstruction in the chimney and the residue was burning out - or maybe the rain had gotten in and caused smoke?  Even so, I tried my best to calm Leo; I could tell he was quite thrown by the whole conundrum.

Eventually we found ourselves in the playroom, watching a show and eating applesauce.  Leo's mood seemed improved but now and then he would revert back to the "smoke".

"Mom's house is kind of old too, you know. And we have a chimney"

And then Leo would go back to the show and do some coloring.

It was a good hour later when Leo announced to me,
"I trust Poppi."
"You do?  That's good.  I do too."
"Yeah. I REALLY trust Poppi.  He's going to figure it all out."

And that was that.  A definite calm came over Leo after he made the pronouncement.

"You want to go back to the dining room and play some more Little People?"

And we played and played until it was time to go to school.


1 comment:

Annie said...

He told us ALL about the smoke at dinner.