Monday, November 26, 2012

What I Really Want for Christmas

is this kind of Christmas tree, sparse and simple.
Ok, the bottom one, from The Bishop's Wife, isn't simple. But it's from an old Christmas movie, so I included it. For nostalgia. (Lisette, are you feelin' me? Or is Christmas where we part stylistic ways?)

8 comments:

Maureen said...

I feel you Annie....
If it's the "extra" tree, or outside!
I'll keep my usual full tree,lol.
But I feel the sentiment

Lisette said...

Annie, I love love love them. I think you should do it, for sure. I wanted a flocked tree this year but, alas, it's not happening.

Annie said...

That is a flocking good idea!

Considered a fake white tree yesterday (craigslist). Only said no b/c my living room is white. It was only $28....

Mars said...

what the flock is a flocked tree?

Lisette said...

A tree with white paint on it so it looks sort or 80s vintage by day, but really really cozy by night.

KBB said...

Not a fan of flocked or sparse.

It goes back to childhood: my friend Mary Beth's family had a fake pink tree. Matched the living room (which no one sat in) decor. We're talking mid-sixties here.
It probably wasn't gaudy but that was what it appeared to me. I had to suppress a laugh every year it went up. So fake just doesn't do it for me. And flocked is fake, although I do appreciate the look of "snow"...which I guess is the idea.

I'm stuck on the old fashioned full, real tree.
We always got our tree a few days before Christmas; everybody did back then. Limbing it and smelling that sweet pine odor was a joyful experience. My father took such pride every year in the tree he/we picked...but OH! the frustration of getting those lights on! But it was part Christmas; we'd have eggnog and cookies (only time we were allowed to eat cookies in the living room) and have so much fun decorating it.

A sparse tree? We'd be done with the lights and decorations too quickly.

My sister Maureen once decided on a sparse tree. She ended up with what looked like a limb with strange branches protruding. It just looked sad to me.

But to each his own. :) :) :)



The Captain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

I am wondering about whether it will look sad... the picture on the top is perfectly set in a sparse, modern yet homey setting. And on the bottom it's decked beyond measure.

Hm. Will have to think about how to make this work in my house.