Who's there?
Davo!
. . . I'll let Luca finish the punchline on that one.
As most of you know by now, Dave's deployment has been postponed. The U.S. Government decided it'd be super fun for everyone to let us know with 36 hours notice that, just kidding!!! You guys aren't going anywhere for now.
To clarify, the deployment has not been cancelled. They are going to be leaving, we just aren't sure when. Which is so much fun. Due to looming budget cuts, we can't afford to have two carriers in the Gulf so Dave's ship, the Truman, is going to have to wait its turn.
As I'm sure you can imagine, the news came as quite a shock. Dave's e-mail of, "Deployment is on hold. I don't have any dates. This is not a joke" more or less made me pass out at my desk at work. One of my friends did a cartwheel in her company's parking lot, another almost fainted at Target . . . you get the idea. It feels a bit like a stay of execution, since we were all as prepared as we could be to get it over with and now are back to anticipating it. That, and it's a little embarrassing to have had everyone ask me in hushed tones how saying goodbye was on Tuesday just to have him back on Friday . . .
I will say we have it a lot better than most. A lot of people sold their cars, broke their leases and put all their things into storage in preparation for deployment, and now have nowhere to live. Yikes. The Navy has said that they will try to help those people however they can, but it's hard to imagine that they'll be able to help people by the thousands in any sort of timely fashion. So all in all, we consider ourselves lucky.
So here we are! Dave has one backpack full of clothes until the rest of his stuff gets shipped to us in a couple of weeks (including the huge bag of snacks and supplies I JUST gave him on Monday), and he's mad at me right now for forcing him to shave his deployment mustache. Very mad. Very, very mad.
But as mom advised, I should focus on the present since the situation is out of my control, and I'll be damned if my present includes a husband with a caterpillar on his lip.
6 comments:
How about this, Luca:
Davo who?
da von't let me go
Ha Ha Ha
aloise..very funny post, considering
Roll with the punches as best you can, little Girl. It's really all you can do.
And you're doing it well if your sense of humor in this post is any indication of where you are.
Oh yeah, and Dave's mouth without the caterpillar; that was a very good call :)
Love in the moon to the 2 of you.
Dad, Ha!
Aloise, Aloise (funny how much more I love that name now) I'm sorry you two have to deal with this, but proud that you at least took the time to make him shave...seriously.
p.s. love the first picture.
p.p.s. wish we lived closer, wish I could see you more :)
I swore I commented on this yesterday. Much to the effect of:
Wow.
You must be very happy to have him back.
And:
I feel very happy for you.
Good post, brah.
Post a Comment