Saturday, January 06, 2007

Nice figure

As people have a tendency to talk around here, you may have heard abot my recent intellectual triumph. Andrew needed help on his extra credit assignment - a very sophisticated math problem for his age level! - and in desperation called Ann (presumably to get to me). So, after applying a number of different methodologies and logical principles, I deduced the solution to the very great delight of the Blanchard clan. I post it below for the rest of you to give it a whirl. Good luck. The first one to post the correct answer in the comment section can take their rightful place by the side of "Andrew's smartest uncle" [download that to your ipod and crank up the volume, Buri] . (The only thing sadder than my gloating over finishing an 11 year old's math problem is the fact that this was my idea of a fun Thursday night):

Twice 8 are 10
but 10 is only 3
7 of us are 5

still need help?

19 are 8
9 is just 4

The answer is....


The problem, if it helps, is called Ferry's Four Square and the teacher's only advice was to draw it out, write it out, sound it out

PS - Maureen - if you are indeed on board where are these Luke pics, please?

5 comments:

KBB said...

I'm emailing this puzzle to the Captain; we'll see how he does.

I haven't boogied on Saturday nite's for, oh, a while now. I will boogie with Ferry's Four Square ( after I Google FFS) tonite, to my delight.

Maureen is not yet on board as Lisette has yet to tell us where she got her computer checked out.

My elf is failinggggggggg.

Happy Dia de Los Reyes to all!

Mars said...

I don't get it. It's too hard. I hate math.

KBB said...

Brent also gave up.

I commented to Frank that, of course, the solution had to be a number, right?

He smiled and shrugged his shoulders. Oh dear!

And I've had "no reply" from the Captain, but told him that if he solved this, I would POST for him.

C'mon, somebody has to get this!

KBB said...

The Captain gave up.

A few days ago he said he thought it had to do with kids on a bus;
but he's given up. Said he couldn't understand the question.

Shmalzy said...

Yeah, I also thought some of the numbers were ages. What that might mean I haven't the foggiest...