Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Wednesdays with Leo; S2, Part 5

It was Halloween and Leo greeted me with his Thor costume: finally a decision!


He wore it during our time together, explaining why he chose it and why it was "the best ever". So we played super-heroes, of course, but this time I got to choose whether I wanted to be a hero or a villain.

Spending time on the swingset, Leo asked me about "your kitchen", wanting to know when I thought he could "eat there again."

As we spoke, me saying that soon we could start decorating the walls, Leo announced that he was "waiting" for his favorite picture to be put up on the wall again.
"You know which one I mean, don't you?"
I didn't.  But I suspected he had seen "it" against the radiator cover in the dining room, recalled it had once been on the wall, and decided it was his favorite.

I was right.

As soon as we came back into the house, Leo walked me to the picture and proudly exclaimed.
                                                      "This is IT!"

                                 



I knew Leo was excited that Halloween was finally here.  Me?  I was a bit concerned when I saw the sky clouding over, rain seeming to be on the horizon, and the temperature dipping.

So on the way to school I told Leo that we should cross our fingers "so that it doesn't rain."  Immediately Leo showed me both hands with fingers crossed.
"You can still cross your fingers with one hand and drive, Ma,"  Hint, hint :)

Speaking about Halloween weather, I told Leo about the Halloween that was SO cold that "all my kids" had to wear their costumes over their coats and that Poppi drove them to "all the houses" so that they could run back into the car and warm up. 
I think if it had been possible, Leo would have grown an extra pair of hands just to that he could have had more fingers to cross.  

All was well until we waited in line at school for the teachers to come out to take the children from the cars and walk them into school. I sensed Leo was becoming nervous. (Do I know this child or what?).

" I THINK we're supposed to wear our costumes to school today...but I don't see anyone wearing any."

I flashed back to times of my youth. Times when I was not where I was supposed to be, or not wearing what I was supposed to be wearing, or not bringing to school what I was supposed to be bringing; the list went on and on.

I was nervous for and with Leo.

But then they came:

All sorts of little children dressed in their Halloween costumes.

And off Leo went; all smiles and waves and "Happy Halloween, Ma!"