I didn't post last weeks episode of this series because, well, it was a crazy week. So you have a 2 fer 1 this time around.
A week ago (last) Sunday, Dad drove to NJ to rescue Nora and her girls from the disaster that was Superstorm Sandy. They stayed until Saturday with Chad and Martha (floors here being done and place absolutely non-child friendly) so that I found myself wanting to help out by having Nora and the girls come here for spells during the day to keep them occupied.
On Wed., (part 6) Nora came with the girls to spend time with Leo and me.
It was a "smelly house day", the odor from the work on the floors overwhelming; we all had to use the front door and stay primarily in the front living room and playroom in order to avoid the strong smells.
Leo and Maggie were instantly at play as soon as Leo arrived. They caught up with each other, played superheroes, did lots of coloring and had lunch together.
With little Aloise fighting to "play" with the "older kids" and Nora busy researching to replace both of her flooded cars, I found myself not paying too much attention to "Leo's antics" while attempting to keep some kind of order.
On the way out to the car ~ Leo ready for school and Maggie coming for the ride so that I could drop her off at Martha's (Nora had left to give Aloise a nap) ~ there was instant excitement.
SNOW!!!
Leo and Maggie went crazy. "Snow and it isn't even Christmas!" shouted Maggie.
"Snow! And it isn't even Thanksgiving!!", I replied.
And THAT got the biggest and longest giggle from both Maggie and Leo.
On the way to Martha's house, both Maggie and Leo pointed out snow on car roofs and house roofs and the giggling just went on and on :)
Wed. Nov 14, Part 7
Maggie is "down" with Martha's cold. So is Lucia. Martha invited Nora and the girls to her house this morning, which worked out well, because Annie did NOT want to risk another cold in the Gramuglia household.
Leo was all talk on the drive to "Ma's House".
"I don't like it when it gets dark. It's boring."
"Sometimes, when I can't go right to sleep, I get bored in my bed because it's dark and I can't go to sleep".
"Sometime I have a hard time going to sleep right away, too, Leo."
"So you know what I mean, right? It's boring."
"Leo. Do you remember when you used to get out of bed in the middle of the night and go to the refrigerator because you were hungry?"
Pause. More Pause.
"I don't remember that."
"One day Mom and Dad opened the refrigerator and there was a big chunck of butter gone and your teeth marks were on the butter that was left!"
"I don't remember that; I must have been 2 when I did that."
And then:
"Actually, I'm starting to remember. That's weird".
Silence in the car and then, out of nowhere:
"Anyway...I'm bigger than Paulie. And Luca is bigger than me. And Mom is bigger than Luca. And Daddy is bigger than my Mom." "Dad's are always bigger than Mommies. That's just the way it is."
"In a day or two or three I'm having a Feast at my school!"
"Oh! A Thanksgiving Feast?"
"Yes. And, would you like to come? I KNOW I would LOVE to see you there."
"I'll ask your Mom when it is and plan to go if I can."
"Yeah. And I KNOW you would LOVE to see me!'
"And my friends." "And I KNOW they would love to see you!"
We passed "our house", the one under construction that we've been viewing since last Spring.
"It's still the same, Ma. And it's been the same for a lot of months or at least 10 days!"
"Yup. And one of these days I'm going to remember to bring my camera so that I can take a picture of you near the house. I KNOW the men working there will let me."
"Ha. That's funny. And then maybe they'll work hard to get it finished. Ha!"
PS. I did go to Leo's Feast the following day; a Thanksgiving re-tell play by Leo's class.
Walking into the school, there were Raphael and Maria! Talk about a treat; I hadn't seen Maria since her collapse last Spring.
When it was time to gather for the play, Raphael, Maria and I followed the crowd down the winding hall to Leo's classroom.
While walking, I spotted a handsome boy leaning against the door to one of the classrooms. And then I spotted a set of little blue crutches. Luca! Raphael, Maria and I all but accosted him.
Luca happily greeted us with, "Hello 3 Grandparents! Do you know where Leo's classroom is?"
And just like that he grabbed his crutches and led the way. He parted the way through the many people already in line outside the door to Leo's classroom and took us the front of the line. And there he left us, saying as he made his way back, "Goodbye 3 Grandparents! Have a good time".
Talk about a Feast :)
1 comment:
Awesome.
Post a Comment