I go back and forth on this, as I did with my other related post. I don't want to hurt or alienate anyone. But then I think, for pete's sake, that's really not the point. Being "hurt" is not a good reason not to talk honestly about things.
So I'm sharing this article, which was shared with me. It discusses the legal ramifications of legalizing same-sex marriage, and the reason people and government codified marriage in the first place (protection of children, and protection of the basic unit of society.)
Gay marriage, then group marriage?
This is very much in the news today, and the self-satisfied knee-jerk support of it, the villification of those who oppose, the "I just can't understand why you'd oppose it" make my eyes roll. If we're self-satisfied and most of our generation agrees with us, that alone it a good sign we should rethink. If we're reduced to villification, we've almost definitely entered a dead end.
And if we don't understand, then we must -- if we are at all honest -- find articles and read them, and ask those who disagree with us. Right? If we can't understand, that is only our own fault, because though we may ultimately still disagree with others on this, people do have real REASONS, not just feelings or prejudices, underlying their opposition to same-sex marriage.
If we call ourselves Catholic, we must at the very least read the Church's teaching before disagreeing. Right?
To that end:
HUMANAE VITAE
Now. If you say it makes you very sad to tell people there is anything wrong about what they want or what they do; or very sad that you know gay people or those who love them (who don't ask any further questions) who really DON'T understand and feel just hurt because you oppose something they believe is a basic right... well we're in the same boat on that one. This is not easy.
Peace out.
10 comments:
Also I urge you to not just read the first article, but click on and read their amicus brief and then download and read their entire petition.
I'm about to dig into this article. Thanks Annie. Waking up to the red symbol all over Facebook made me cringe.
Catherine what's up with your moveon FB post? Did someone hack into your account?
Nope, that was me.
Duh I know. It was a joke.
I know!
Gay marriage will pass the supreme court. The fact that such a decision is beyond their competence is beside the question. The blame is to be laid squarely at the feet of heterosexual people who have lost their ontological grip. This post by Msgr Pope should give us pause:
http://blog.adw.org/2013/03/reaping-the-whirlwind-a-reflection-on-the-deeping-darkness-that-celebrates-homosexual-unions-and-activity/
Post a Comment